Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What's in a name?


Sierrah Joyce, spanish origin meaning mountain range
I am one that the minute I am pregnant I have to decide on a name. When we found out we were having our first baby, I thought for sure it would be a boy? I always said when I was pregnant I wouldn't want to find out the sex of the baby, I wanted it to be a surprise! Well when I found out I was pregnant, I HAD to know!!! We found out she would be a girl. We went back and forth on names. Then, on a trip to California we both saw a sign that said Sierra, referring the Sierra Mountains. Thats it, what about Sierrah?? Rich loved it too. My sister and I were in a book store looking at baby names and she pointed out the name Sierrah with an "H" on the end. I have yet to see it spelled that way. I loved it with the H on the end. It was a given that we would use Joyce as a middle name, that is my middle name along with my mom too.

Richard Oliver, french origin meaning strong power
I was thrilled to find out I was having a boy! Right away Rich knew he wanted to name him Richard. I wasn't to sure about it, but thought it was our first boy so I let Rich pick the name. Oliver is my maiden name. I really wanted that for his middle name. Richard is SO much like his dad it fits him perfect.

Hunter Alvin, english origin meaning hunter
Oh,boy it's another boy! We had more helpers this time with names. I was out numbered on this one. At first I liked Hunter and so did the rest of the family. I just liked the name, no paticular reason. Then, I decided on Luke! I was so excited to tell Sierrah and Rich about it! They weren't as excited and told me NO WAY! They wanted Hunter. We quickly decided on that. The middle name was a tuff one. It took us a few months (which killed me) to decide on a middle name. One night Rich said what about Alivn after my grandpa? I thought about it and decided that would fit. Uncle Jason has Alvin for his middle name as well.

7 comments:

Pam said...

It is always so fun to hear how kids get their names. That is great that you used family names too. We didn't end up doing that and I kind of wish now that we would have at least on Chase. We always thought we would have another boy to name after my dad but that didn't happen. Oh well, I still love my kids names anyway. As I'm sure every parent does. Your kids are so cute and I think their names fit perfectly.

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

Cute idea to post about names. I think it's neat to hear about where or how people got their names.

Lorena said...

So fun to hear how everyone got their names...I think I'm going to copy you!

gina said...

Great post Heather, love your kids names. I am with you on picking the names early, it always makes me crazy until I do. We changed Cade's 1/2 through the pregnancy though, when I realized you can't name a child Braiden Hair-up. Oh well, Cade fits his personality. Have a good day!

Deana & Ryan Bitter said...

Since Sierrah's name is spanish origin, I think you would then pronounce Joyce as Hoe-say. Right? So that would make you... Heather "Hoe-say" - I like it! Bye Jose!

Elisha said...

I love those names! That's smart to find their origins, it might be scary what my kids are! No, I still haven't ordered the book yet, I still have it all saved on Blurp.

Wendy said...

I love how you picked all your childrens names. Sierrah still remembers me from teaching her in primary a few years ago at eight years old. She comes up to me on Sundays and says hello I LOve THat!! Wendy B.