Monday, September 1, 2008

Jacobson Hunter's (a.k.a. bird killer's)


The boys got going about 5am this morning (opening day). Thanks uncle Boe for taking the picture! They went out here by the house and went a huntin' for some Dove. The limit was 20, they got em' quick! The dusty birds are laying in front of them.
Of course they ran into a rattle snake coiled up. Hayden said it looked like a cow pie! Us girls are glad they made it back safely. It was fun to have grandpa Jacobson with the boys today! We don't get that often. The boys usually get together a couple times during the season. It is so fun for the boys, I know they will always remember these times together!

Grandma Jacobson had a Yummy breakfast ready when the mighty hunters arrived back at home.
Rich and Jason made the boys get the meat out of one bird each and after that the three of these guys did the rest the others quickly lost interest. YUCK!!

Jason, Rich, and Hayden did the dirty work, defeathering, etc. I am not sure what else is involved. I just know it is gross! Thank U Jason for taking the meat home! I am sure you made Gini's day! :)


The mightiest hunter of all crashed of course! That is Hunter tanked in the middle. Doesn't he look comfy??

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! Dave did the same thing this morning (grouse, not dove), though he came home tweety-less. Bummer. Now Bryce can chew meat quickly with the comfort he will not be breaking any teeth on a stray BB. We had a bad experience with that last year and now he asks when he eats meat if he can eat it fast or not! Tell all those partiers down there hi for us!

Renae said...

I've never seen anyone eat quail (or dove or whatever) but I guess it's all about the "manly bonding"
Justin in 15 years has never brought anything home. (thank heavens)

Valerie said...

Heather, you need to make an entire blog about Hunter falling asleep... Seriously, it is the funniest thing I have ever seen!!

Glad your men folk got lots 'o birds. Also glad I didn't have to see them defeather them. Ew.

:)

Jolene said...

Isn't it funny the positions that kids can fall asleep in? once I bit in to a pellet while eating pheasant in a restaurant!

Pam said...

So the Dove's have gone from being the "Love Birds" or the "symbol of peace" to the Jacobson's next meal. Sweet! :) I didn't know people actually ate them. Heather you are a wealth of info.
Glad the boys had such a great time being so manly.

I love Hunter's sleeping pics. They will one day make a great scrapBOOK and I'm not just talkin' about a couple pages. So cute!

SBrooks said...

I cant believe how he slept like that - chiropractics baby! Wow - amazing the fun boys (Rich) can have. I think big boys love it just as much!

lyssamcaleavy said...

Heather, I am SO happy to hear from you! How are you guys? I'm excited to be able to read you blog and know what's going on with your cute family. Your kids are so big! Thanks for saying "hi".

KayDee said...

Wow! Dove and Quail Hunting! From what I have heard the boys had lots of fun! Hayden said this morning,that they hadn't eaten any quail meat yet!

Jan said...

I'm curious, after all the fun of shooting them and getting them all cleaned up-YUCK, what do you do with them? How do you eat them? Do you put them in a stew? I would imagine it would take a whole bunch of those little guys to make a meal for a family :)
Looks like your boys had great fun!

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

So did you have some dove stew? If you did, glad you didn't share with us. I've a bite before. And the only way I can describe it is NASTY. And as always Lovin' Hunter's sleeping positions.

sls said...

That is disgusting, the birds and the feathers. I am so a vegetarian for the rest of the day. YUCK! That was nice that they took boe along.

Alishia said...

Your boys are always up to something fun!! Dalin would be so jealous. Bryan isn't much of a hunter, he is to tender hearted, imagine that.

I, too, am glad everyone came home safely, especially with a close encounter of the rattling kind.